< To Apply

FAQs for N.C. Cooperative Innovative High School (CIHS) Applicants

If you’re graduating from a Cooperative Innovative High School in North Carolina with an associate degree, you may apply either as first-year or transfer students.  Here is some information that we hope will help guide you in your choice. If you’d like to talk through your options, please let us know.

Is it easier to be admitted as a first-year applicant or a CIHS transfer applicant?

It depends entirely on each individual student’s application.  For first-year applicants we consider the student’s academic record to include courses taken and grades achieved, SAT/ACT results, extracurricular involvement, essays and recommendations.  For junior transfer applicants we consider the same information although we do not require a letter of recommendation or the SAT/ACT results.

When will decisions be released for first-year and transfer students?

First-year students will be notified of their admission decisions either at the end of January (if they applied Early Action) or at the end of March (if they applied Regular Decision).  First-year students who are offered admission to the University will have until May 1 to accept or decline their offers of admission. All transfer students with completed applications will be notified of their admission decisions by mid-April.  Admitted junior transfer applicants will have until May 15 to accept or decline their offer of admission.

Are both first-year and CIHS transfer students  guaranteed on-campus housing?

Yes. First-year students are required to live on campus. CIHS junior transfer students are not required to live on campus but University housing will be available for those who wish to live on campus.

Are merit scholarships and financial aid available for CIHS transfer applicants?

CIHS junior transfer applicants may be considered for a limited number of merit scholarships. They can also be considered for need-based awards if they submit the FAFSA and CSS Profile by the March 1 priority deadline.

Are the same Orientation options available for both first-year and transfer students?

UNC’s orientation programs occur over the summer immediately preceding the student’s first fall term of enrollment.  The  first-year orientation is typically more in-depth than is the orientation for transfer students.  There are also more dates throughout the summer available for first-year students to choose from.

Are CIHS transfer students considered for Honors Carolina in the same way that first-year students are?

No.  CIHS transfer students are not eligible for the Honors Carolina program but they can graduate with honors by working closely with faculty members in their chosen major.

What if a CIHS student chooses the transfer option but does not simultaneously receive both the high school diploma and the associates degree?

If a CIHS  student selects the transfer option, is offered admission but does not meet the degree requirement, the offer of transfer admission will be rescinded and the student will be reconsidered as a first-year applicant.  The application as a first-year candidate will be considered as space in the first-year class allows. In addition, in order to complete the application as a first-year candidate,  SAT or ACT scores and a teacher recommendation will be required.   It is highly recommended that a student notify the Office of Undergraduate Admissions as soon as possible once it has been determined that both degrees will not be awarded simultaneously.

Are all majors available to CIHS  transfer students in the same way they are to first-year students?

Most majors are available to CIHS transfer students. However, some programs require students to complete specific coursework before they can begin work in that major. A limited number of other programs require a separate application for admission into that specific program.  Most of these majors are in, but not necessarily limited to, the areas of Health Affairs and Business.  If particular prerequisites are required, you may need an extra 1-2 semester(s) of coursework at  Carolina to obtain that specific degree.  For more information by major, please see the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill 2016-2017 Catalog at http://www.catalog.unc.edu/

If I apply as a first-year applicant can I graduate in fewer than four years?

Yes. As a CHIS graduate with an associate degree it is possible to graduate in fewer than four years.  All students will be assigned an academic advisor and should discuss all of their options leading to graduation with that advisor.

View of Eve Carson Memorial bench on UNC campus
Professor Goldberg teaches class at UNC Chapel Hill