UNC CORE Certificate Program
UNC Core is an undergraduate, distance-education Certificate program designed to accelerate the degree path of active-duty service members in the US armed forces, veterans, and National Guard or Reserve members. UNC CORE students enroll in online and/or correspondence general-education courses through the Friday Center for Continuing Education at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.
UNC Core is limited to students who:
- Are on active duty in the United States armed forces, are honorably discharged veterans of the United States armed forces, or are National Guard or Reserve members;
- Do not already hold a baccalaureate (that is, a four-year) degree;
- Have either graduated from high school or completed the General Education Diploma (GED);
- Cannot participate in residential programs at UNC-Chapel Hill and require the flexibility offered through distance-education courses.
Admission to UNC Core does not guarantee admission to degree-seeking programs at UNC-Chapel Hill. Students who are ultimately interested in completing undergraduate degrees will need to apply separately for admission to their intended degree programs. Be sure to confirm with the Office of Admissions at the college or university where you will complete your degree that the courses you have chosen will transfer.
Additional information – http://unccore.org/certificate/
To apply to UNC Core, follow these steps:
- If you are claiming North Carolina residency, you must submit a residency application with the North Carolina Residency Determination Service (RDS). The RDS will provide you with a Residency Certification Number (RCN), which you may enter in your application for admission. Complete your residency application as soon as possible—you may complete it before you start or submit your application for readmission.
- Go to the application management page and click “Create an account” under First-time users. (If you have previously created an account, please log in with those credentials.)
- Once you have logged into your account, click on “Start New Application” and select “Undergraduate” from the application type drop-down.
- Select “UNC CORE Certificate” from the next drop-down and click on “Create Application
- To edit an in-progress application, log into applynow.unc.edu, and click on your application.
- Complete the application carefully.
- Educational history
- List all secondary and post-secondary schools attended. You may choose to upload scanned copies of your high school and college transcripts, but these copies are not required. After you submit your application, you will be required to submit an official transcript that reflects your graduation from high school or completion of the GED. Official transcripts may be mailed to the Office of Undergraduate Admissions or submitted electronically through the following services: Docufide, Avow, Scrip-Safe/E-Scrip.
- Joint Services Transcript
- To report the educational training completed while serving in the military, you are required to upload a copy of your Joint Services Transcript.
- You’ll get an immediate confirmation email that your application has been submitted.
- To view your application status and any missing materials, log into applynow.unc.edu, and click on your application.
- If you are admitted to UNC Core, we will send you an email with additional information on next steps, including course registration instructions.