How to Apply for C-STEP
Are you a low- to moderate-income high school student planning to continue your education at one of current partner schools? Are you a current student at one of our partner colleges? Would you like to transfer to Carolina upon completion of your associate degree? If you fit any of these criteria, read on.
C-STEP targets high-achieving students of low to moderate income (students whose household adjusted gross incomes fall at or below 300 percent of the 2012 federal poverty guidelines, as indexed by family size, or roughly $69,150 for a family of four). These students transfer to Carolina as juniors after earning an appropriate associate degree from one of our partner community colleges.
If you are invited to participate in C-STEP, you will work directly with C-STEP leaders at your community colleges and will participate in monthly events on their campuses and at Carolina. These events will introduce you to Carolina and help you engage early with our campus, students, staff, and faculty, and smooth your eventual transition to Chapel Hill.
|Key Dates||Deadline to Submit Application||Notification Date|
|High school students graduating in Spring 2015 – OR – high school students with dual enrollment credit – OR – community college students with a year or more remaining to complete their Associates Degree||April 1, 2015||Late April 2015|
|Community College candidates wanting to enter UNC in Fall 2017 (The class of 2015 is full at this time.)||October 1, 2015||Late October 2015|
Questions about which deadline applies to you? Reach out to our C-STEP staff via email or phone.
A high school transcript, any and all college transcripts, as well as a recommendation letter should be sent in for consideration along with your application.
In order to be considered for C-STEP, the following materials must be received by the deadline for which you are applying:
- Fill out the online application. Please include all requested information. If you answer “yes” to any of the community standards questions, please submit an explanation and supporting documentation as requested in the instructions. Please note that we are unable to review incomplete applications that do not include an explanation and supporting documentation to any community standard incidents.
- Mail official hard copy transcripts from your graduating high school and all colleges and universities attended. (You must submit transcripts from all post-secondary institutions in which you have enrolled, regardless of whether you completed coursework.)
- Email two electronic letters of recommendation in PDF format.
- Email your FAFSA Student Aid Report (SAR). Please note that this report will be emailed to you after you fill out the FAFSA. Please forward the report via email.
- High school students only: Official SAT or ACT results, or scores from a community college placement exam
All materials should be sent to the attention of Rebecca Egbert:
Rebecca Egbert, Senior Assistant Director of Admissions and C-STEP Program Director
Office of Undergraduate Admissions
University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
Campus Box 2200 Jackson Hall, Chapel Hill, NC 27599-2200
Phone: (919) 966-3984; Fax: (919) 962-3045