How to Apply for C-STEP
Are you a low-to moderate-income high school student planning to continue your education at one of our current partner schools? Are you a current student at one of our partner colleges? Would you like to transfer to Carolina upon completion of your associate degree? If you fit any of these criteria, read on.
C-STEP targets high-achieving students of low to moderate income (students whose household adjusted gross incomes fall at or below 300 percent of the 2015 federal poverty guidelines, as indexed by family size, or roughly $72,750 for a family of four). Please note: Students who are not eligible to apply for or receive federal aid due to their residency standing are not eligible for participation in C-STEP. Students transfer to Carolina as juniors after earning an appropriate associate degree from one of our partner community colleges.
If you are invited to participate in C-STEP, you will work directly with C-STEP leaders at your community colleges and will participate in monthly events on their campuses and at Carolina. These events will introduce you to Carolina and help you engage early with our campus, students, staff, and faculty, and smooth your eventual transition to Chapel Hill.
|Key Dates||Deadline to Submit Application||Notification Date|
|Community College candidates wanting to enter UNC in Fall 2017||October 1, 2015||Late October 2015|
|High school students graduating in the Spring 2016 – OR – high school seniors with dual enrollment credit (earning 30 hours or less) – OR – community college students with earned college credit (30 hours or less including current semester course work)||April 1, 2016||Late April 2016|
Questions about which deadline applies to you? Reach out to our C-STEP staff via email or phone.
A high school transcript, any and all college transcripts, as well as a recommendation letter should be sent in for consideration along with your application.
In order to be considered for C-STEP, the following materials must be received by the deadline for which you are applying:
- Fill out the online application and please include all requested information.
- Mail official hard copy transcripts from your graduating high school and all colleges and universities attended. (You must submit transcripts from all post-secondary institutions in which you have enrolled, regardless of whether you completed coursework.)
- Email two electronic letters of recommendation in PDF format.
- Please self-report SAT or ACT results (If taken)
- If you answer “yes” to any of the community standards questions, please submit an explanation and supporting documentation as requested in the instructions. Please note that we are unable to review incomplete applications that do not include an explanation and supporting documentation to any community standard incidents.
All materials should be sent to the attention of Rebecca Egbert:
Rebecca Egbert, Senior Assistant Director of Admissions and C-STEP Program Director
Office of Undergraduate Admissions
University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
Campus Box 2200 Jackson Hall, Chapel Hill, NC 27599-2200
Phone: (919) 445-8326; Fax: (919) 962-3045