How to Apply for Readmission
We’re delighted you’re interested in returning to Carolina, and we want to make it as easy as possible for you to apply for readmission. Please follow the steps below and let us know if we can help you in any way.
It’s important that you submit your application in a timely manner. We strongly recommend that you apply as early as possible as this will help you transition back to Carolina. Course selection may be limited for students who apply late, so we encourage you to apply by the priority deadline listed below for the term in which you wish to enroll.
International Applicants: If you are applying and will require either an F1 or J1 visa, you must submit your application at least one month BEFORE the priority deadline for the term in which you wish to return to allow adequate time for the processing of your visa paperwork.
|Summer I 2019||Early March 2019||May 2, 2019|
|Summer II 2019||Early March 2019||June 10, 2019|
|Fall 2019||Early March 2019||August 6, 2019|
- If you are claiming North Carolina residency, you must submit a residency application with the North Carolina Residency Determination Service (RDS). The RDS will provide you with a Residency Certification Number (RCN), which you are required to enter in your application for admission. Please complete your residency application through RDS and obtain your RCN before you start your application for admission.
- Please check your holds within your student services center before applying. Holds from Student Conduct and Academic Eligibility will delay your application from being evaluated and should be released before applying.
- When you’re ready to apply, you’ll need to create a MyCarolina account. Go to mycarolina.unc.edu/apply and click “Create an account” under First-time users. (If you have previously created an account, please log in with those credentials.) Once you’ve registered, you’ll receive an email with a temporary PIN. Please follow the email instructions and set your password.
- Once you’ve logged into your account, click on “Start New Application” and select “Readmit Student (non Friday Center/Part-time Classroom)” and click on”Create Application.”
- To edit an in-progress application, log into your MyCarolina account and click on your application.
After submitting your application:
- You’ll get an immediate confirmation email that your application has been submitted.
- If we require additional materials to review your application, they will be listed on your status page in your MyCarolina account. Be sure to check your status page daily and respond promptly to any items on your checklist.
- After all items on the checklist have been received, a decision will be available for you to view in your within two weeks. If you are admitted, please reply to our offer of admission on your MyCarolina status page. Once you accept the admission offer, please allow one to two business days to gain access to registration.
- Submitted application.
- Residency Certification Number, which you will receive when you complete the residency process with the North Carolina Residency Determination Service (RDS).
- Official transcripts – only required if you’ve enrolled in course work at another college or university since leaving Carolina. You must have maintained an honorable conduct record at all other institutions attended and have a “C” (2.0) average for all course work attempted outside of Carolina to be eligible for readmission, regardless of your previous Carolina GPA. If you’re currently enrolled at another institution, please send a list of your courses in progress. The required GPA for eligibility is based on all semesters in residence on all campuses.
Please be sure that all past due accounts with the Cashier, Student Loans, Libraries, Student Stores, or any other offices or agencies of the University have been brought current and cleared before applying for readmission. You will not be able to register for classes with any past due accounts.