As a language critical to U.S. national security, the study of Russian offers unique opportunities for students. Through the Russian Flagship Program, students undertake a rigorous academic course load on campus, participate in individualized tutoring and cultural programming, spend a summer of intensive Russian language study in a Russian-speaking country, and complete a capstone academic year in Almaty, Kazakhstan. Carolina’s Russian Language Flagship Program is one of eight programs in the U.S. sponsored by the National Security Education Program.
New undergraduate students, both first-year and transfer
CONSIDER THIS PROGRAM IF:
- You aspire to be part of the next generation of global professionals, commanding a superior level of proficiency in Russian, one of ten languages critical to U.S. national security and economic competitiveness.
- You want to solve key global issues through a career in public service, international business, STEM fields or in other related academic endeavors.
- You want to join a diverse, yet close-knit community of students on campus.
- You want to engage in a fully immersive language and cultural experience that is specifically designed to hone your linguistic fluency and cultural competency.
- Academic and co-curricular programming including four years of US-based Russian language coursework (or their intensive equivalent) and individual tutoring
- Intensive overseas summer Russian language study in a Russian-speaking country
- An academic year Capstone program in Almaty, Kazakhstan that includes tailored language instruction, direct enrollment in coursework related to your major at the host university, and a professional internship related to your academic and career goals
- Individualized advising from UNC Russian Flagship Program advisors to develop a personalized academic plan that takes into account personal and cultural backgrounds as well as educational and professional goals.