< To Transfer Students

International Transfer Applicants

Just as with international first-year applicants, international transfer students will fill out the same application as domestic transfer applicants. There are a couple of additional requirements and steps international transfer applicants must take when applying to UNC. Below we detail all parts of the transfer application for an international student.

The Common Application and Fee

All students, regardless of their residency and/or citizenship, apply to UNC using The Common Application. The application will ask you for more information including your personal biographical information, parent and sibling information, educational history, and extracurricular activities. There are also three writing samples: one essay on The Common Application and two short answer responses on the UNC-Chapel Hill Member Page.

Please be sure to refer to our deadlines. For all students, and especially for students abroad, it is important to get an early start on the application process and to meet required application and material deadlines.

You must also submit the $85 application fee along with The Common Application and required materials. The Common Application accepts online payments with credit cards and electronic checks.

Secondary School/High School Transcripts

All transfer applicants must submit their secondary school/high school transcripts regardless of how many years they have been enrolled in university. We understand that curriculums differ from country to country and our staff is sensitive to the intricacies of each curriculum. All students will be expected to have completed the pre-university curriculum in their country and must have completed their secondary school diploma.

In order for us to review your application, we require four years of secondary school records. In some countries, secondary school is only three years. If is the case, we need your records from your final year of middle school for your application to be complete. This is required regardless of how many years ago you completed your secondary school diploma.

A complete transcript will have the courses you have taken and your grades/marks for each course. We request you send in your exam scores if your country has these (like GCSEs, etc.), but we also require records of your internal marks.

All transcripts must be translated to English. If your school does not issue English transcripts, students must have an official English translation made and submit this in addition to the official copy from the school.

University Transcripts

Applicants must submit transcripts from all colleges and universities attended. Transcripts from US institutions can be sent directly from those institutions to our office. Transcripts from international universities must have official English translations.

For enrollment, international transfer students who have completed courses at international institutions must submit an evaluation of their international transcript. Student enrollment will not be complete until this evaluation is received.

Starting with students enrolling for Fall 2017, we require students have this evaluation completed by World Education Services (WES). Once you’ve had your transcripts evaluated, please send both an original copy of your transcript along with the course-by-course evaluation of credit to the Office of Undergraduate Admissions. Please see more on our Credit page.


Sophomore applicants (those with less than 60 transferable credit hours) must submit SAT or ACT scores. Our SAT code is 5816 and our ACT code is 3162. We have not preference between the SAT or ACT. If you send us both scores, we will look at whichever score is higher in our review of your application. These scores are optional for junior applicants.

The optional writing sections of both exams are not required, and we do not require SAT II Subject Tests for admission. If you have taken these optional exams and you choose to self-report them on your application or send us your official scores, we’ll review them as supplemental test scores.

English Language Tests

All non-US citizens and non-permanent resident students for whom English is not their first language must submit test scores to demonstrate their English proficiency. We will accept the TOEFL, IELTS or PTE.

  • TOEFL minimum is 100
  • IELTS minimum is 7.0
  • PTE minimum is 68

We do not waive this score requirement based on grades in English courses or SAT/ACT scores. If you have lived in an English-speaking country or have attended an English-speaking school for more than six years, we may waive this requirement. To request this waiver, email us at unchelp@admissions.unc.edu with a description of your circumstances. Waivers are granted on a case-by-case basis.

Street sign reads East Franklin Street
Lecture held outdoors in front of Wilson Library