< To Current Students – Transfer Credit Evaluation

Course Approval for Transfer Credit

If you plan to take a course at another institution, please complete the Course Evaluation Form below.

Current students who wish to receive credit for courses taken at another institution must have these courses evaluated by the Office of Undergraduate Admissions in order for the credit and hours to transfer to the University

Once you complete the course, all official transcripts should be sent to:
Office of Undergraduate Admissions
University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
Campus Box 2200, Jackson Hall
Chapel Hill, NC 27599-2200

General Rules

If you have already completed 64 semester hours of credit at UNC-Chapel Hill, or will have 64 hours at the conclusion of the semester in which you plan to dual-enroll at a two-year school, you cannot transfer additional credit hours for concurrent courses taken at the two-year institution.

You may take course work away from UNC-Chapel Hill provided that your UNC-Chapel Hill grade point average meets the minimum academic eligibility requirement for the semester you plan to re-enroll (see UNC-Chapel Hill catalog section entitled “Academic Eligibility”). Grades and quality points earned elsewhere are not computed into your UNC cumulative grade point average. Enrollment elsewhere (other than summer school) will be counted as semesters earned toward computing eligibility requirements.

For study abroad, please note that you may receive credit only for courses taken through officially sanctioned UNC programs. Contact the Study Abroad Office to learn more.

A minimum of 45 semester hours of credit must be earned at UNC-Chapel Hill in order to receive a degree from UNC-Chapel Hill.

Only 6 hours of your last 30 semester hours may be taken at another institution by permission of your Dean.

A minimum of 18 hours of “C” or higher grades (not “C” average) in the major is required.

We do not award more hours to be transferred for approved courses than those earned at the original institution.

The conversion for quarter hours to semester hours is a 2/3 ratio. For example, a 5-quarter-hour course converted to semester hours is 3.33 semester hours.

You should only submit a course evaluation request for the term in which you plan to take and complete the course.  Approved courses taken outside of the term for which they were approved will not be honored in the event of a transfer credit update or change is made.

Self-Paced Courses:  Enrolled students are not permitted to take Self-Paced Courses except in unusual circumstances; written consent of the student’s dean is required to enroll thus if your courses are determined to be Self-Paced in nature before or after you complete the course, it will be denied if it does not contain an academic dean’s approval.

Complete this form if you plan to take (but have not yet taken) courses at another institution and would like to receive credit for the course(s) toward your degree.

If you have questions about specific course equivalencies, contact the Office of Undergraduate Admissions.

If you have questions concerning how the course equivalencies will fulfill academic and graduation requirements, contact your academic advisor.

I have read these rules and am ready to submit the Course Evaluation Form.

Professor lectures during class at UNC Chapel Hill
View of the quad at Manning Hall at UNC campus