First-Year Enrollment Checklist
Welcome #UNC24! If you’re ready to be a Tar Heel, you can accept your offer of admission on your MyCarolina status page. Here’s everything else you’ll want to do before move-in this fall!
FIRST THINGS FIRST:
- Get your official UNC username, or as we call it, your ONYEN (Only Name You’ll Ever Need). You’ll need this to create your UNC email and view your financial aid package.
- Log into your ConnectCarolina Student Center with your ONYEN. This is where you’ll view your financial aid package when it’s available. (Quick note: this is different from your MyCarolina portal where you viewed your decision.
- Set up your UNC email. Important information about things like financial aid and orientation will be sent to your UNC email account. Click here to get started.
- Apply for financial aid if you haven’t already. March 1 is the priority deadline. If you’ve already applied – great job! Keep checking ConnectCarolina for updates, and visit studentaid.unc.edu for details.
- We need your accurate Social Security Number (SSN). If you didn’t provide it on your application, please share it with us in your ConnectCarolina Student Center.
- Sometimes we need more information to complete your financial aid offer. If we do, we’ll note this in your ConnectCarolina To-Do List, so check there regularly.
- Enroll by May 1 in MyCarolina. You’ll officially be a Tar Heel once you accept your offer of admission and pay your nonrefundable $250 deposit.
Are you an international student? Look out for information from International Student and Scholar Services about your next steps. Also, be sure to check your ConnectCarolina Student Center and upload any required documents.
ONCE YOU ENROLL:
- Tell the world you’re a Tar Heel.
- Continue to check your Heelmail for important updates. We’ll be sending you lots of important updates.
- Register for orientation by May 15. Orientation dates can be found on the New Student & Family Programs website and registration will open in mid-April. At orientation, you’ll learn how to sign up for classes and more. For more information, please visit orientation.unc.edu.
- Apply for housing by the May 15 priority deadline. Visit housing.unc.edu to learn more about campus living and to apply. If you have a disability or medical condition and would like to request a housing accommodation, please contact Carolina Housing.
- Order your laptop by May 15. You’ll be required to have a laptop once you’re a student, and you can order one through the Carolina Computing Initiative.
- Submit your immunization and health history information by June 15. Learn more about UNC Campus Health and how to submit your immunization/health forms.
- Waive or enroll in UNC student health insurance by August 1. Students must confirm they have health insurance, whether they choose to enroll in UNC’s student plan or have coverage through another source. Learn about this requirement and your next steps.
- Sign up for your optional meal plan. Explore dining options and select a meal plan.
- Stay in touch with UNC admissions.
- Test scores – If you’d like college credit by exam, send us your official scores via the respective testing service ASAP. See if your scores qualify for credit. Be sure to check ConnectCarolina to verify that we have received all of your scores and that credit has been awarded as defined here.
- Math placement – You’ll need to take testing before the end of high school to fulfill the math requirement and gain placement into math courses at Carolina.
- Final transcripts – By July 8, we’ll need official copies of your final high school transcript and transcripts for any college coursework. View instructions in your MyCarolina.
- Honor code – If you have any school-based disciplinary incidents or criminal charges that have occurred since applying for admission or that occur before you arrive campus this fall, please email us as soon as possible at firstname.lastname@example.org. It’s rare that we’ve had to revoke an offer of admissions as a result. However, not letting us know in a timely manner may affect your decision.
We’d be happy to hear from you! Email email@example.com or call us at (919) 966-3621 with general questions. If you have specific questions, please feel free to speak any of our campus offices:
Campus Health, firstname.lastname@example.org, 919-966-2281
Carolina Computing Initiative, 919-843-8224
Dining Services, 800-UNCMEAL
Housing, email@example.com, 919-962-5401
ITS Service Desk (technological issues), 919-962-HELP
New Student and Family Programs (Orientation), firstname.lastname@example.org, 919-962-8304
Scholarships and Student Aid (Financial Aid), email@example.com, 919-962-8396