First-Year Enrollment Checklist
Welcome #UNC23! If you’re ready to be a Tar Heel, you can accept your offer of admission on your MyCarolina status page. Here’s everything else you’ll want to do before move-in this fall!
*If you were admitted from the waiting list: Please note that you have two weeks from when you received your offer of admission to accept your offer and pay your enrollment deposit, apply for housing, register for orientation, and order your laptop through CCI. Please refer to the list below for all other steps and key dates.
FIRST THINGS FIRST:
- Come celebrate and meet your new classmates. We’ve created special events for you this spring, and we can’t wait to see you on campus.
- Get your official UNC username, or as we call it, your ONYEN (Only Name You’ll Ever Need). You’ll need this to create your UNC email and view your financial aid package.
- Log into your ConnectCarolina Student Center with your ONYEN. This is where you’ll view your financial aid package when it’s available. (Quick note: this different from your MyCarolina portal where you viewed your decision.
- Set up your UNC email. Important information about things like financial aid and orientation will be sent to your UNC email account. Click here to get started.
- Apply for financial aid if you haven’t already. If you’ve already applied – great job! Keep checking ConnectCarolina for updates, and visit studentaid.unc.edu for details.
- We need your accurate Social Security Number (SSN). If you didn’t provide it on your application, please share it with us in your ConnectCarolina Student Center.
- Sometimes we need more information to complete your financial aid offer. If we do, we’ll note this in your ConnectCarolina To-Do List, so check there regularly.
- Enroll by May 1* in MyCarolina. You’ll officially be a Tar Heel once you accept your offer of admission and pay your $250 deposit.
Are you an international student? Look out for information from International Student and Scholar Services about your next steps. Also, be sure to check your ConnectCarolina Student Center and upload any required documents.
ONCE YOU ENROLL:
- Tell the world you’re a Tar Heel.
- Continue to check your Heelmail for important updates. We’ll be sending you lots of important updates.
- Register for orientation by May 15*. At orientation, you’ll learn how to sign up for classes and more. When registration opens in mid-March, click here and choose “New Student Orientation.”
- Apply for housing by the May 15 priority deadline*. Visit housing.unc.edu to learn more about campus living and to apply. If you have a disability or medical condition and would like to request a housing accommodation, please contact Carolina Housing.
- Order your laptop by May 15*. You’ll be required to have a laptop once you’re a student, and you can order one through the Carolina Computing Initiative.
- Submit your immunization and health history forms by June 15. Learn more about UNC Campus Health and how to submit your immunization/health forms.
- Waive or enroll in UNC student health insurance by August 1. Students must confirm they have health insurance, whether they choose to enroll in UNC’s student plan or have coverage through another source. Learn about this requirement and your next steps.
- Sign up for your optional meal plan. Explore dining options and select a meal plan.
- Stay in touch with UNC admissions.
- Test scores – If you’d like college credit by exam, send us your official scores via the respective testing service ASAP. See if your scores qualify for credit. Be sure to check ConnectCarolina to verify that we have received all of your scores and that credit has been awarded as defined here.
- Math placement – You’ll need to take testing before the end of high school to fulfill the math requirement and gain placement into math courses at Carolina.
- Final transcripts – By July 8, we’ll need official copies of your final high school transcript and transcripts for any college coursework. View instructions in your MyCarolina.
- Honor code – If you’ve had any school-based disciplinary incidents or criminal charges, excluding any that have been expunged, since applying for admission, please email us as soon as possible at email@example.com. It’s rare that we’ve had to revoke an offer of admissions as a result. However, not letting us know in a timely manner may affect your decision.
We’d be happy to hear from you! Email firstname.lastname@example.org or call us at (919) 966-3621 with general questions. If you have specific questions, please feel free to speak any of our campus offices:
Campus Health, email@example.com, 919-966-2281
Carolina Computing Initiative, 919-843-8224
Dining Services, firstname.lastname@example.org, 800-UNCMEAL
Housing, email@example.com, 919-962-5401
ITS Service Desk (technological issues), 919-962-HELP
New Student and Family Programs (Orientation), firstname.lastname@example.org, 919-962-8304
Scholarships and Student Aid (Financial Aid), email@example.com, 919-962-8396