Transfer Enrollment Checklist
Welcome new Tar Heels! If you’ve received your online offer of admission, here’s what you need to do before move-in day this fall!
*If you were admitted from the waiting list: Please note that you have two weeks from when you received your offer of admission to accept your offer and pay your enrollment deposit and to order your laptop through CCI. Please refer to the list below for all other steps and key dates.
FIRST THINGS FIRST:
- Come celebrate and meet your new classmates. We’ve created special events for you this spring, and we can’t wait to see you on campus.
- Get your official UNC username, or as we call it, your ONYEN (Only Name You’ll Ever Need). You’ll need this to create your UNC email and view your financial aid package.
- Log into your ConnectCarolina Student Center with your ONYEN. This is where you’ll view your financial aid package when it’s available. (Quick note: this different from your MyCarolina portal where you viewed your decision.
- Set up your UNC email. Important information about things like financial aid and orientation will be sent to your UNC email account. Click here to get started.
- Apply for financial aid if you haven’t already. If you’ve already applied – great job! Keep checking ConnectCarolina for updates, and visit studentaid.unc.edu for details.
- We need your accurate Social Security Number (SSN). If you didn’t provide it on your application, please share it with us in your ConnectCarolina Student Center.
- Sometimes we need more information to complete your financial aid offer. If we do, we’ll note this in your ConnectCarolina To-Do List, so check there regularly.
- Look out for your transfer credit evaluation. You’ll receive your evaluation via email within a few weeks of receiving your admissions decision and no later than May 1. For general rules about how credit is awarded, please click here. If your coursework was completed at a university outside of the United States, we will only be able to complete your transfer credit evaluation after we have received your transcript evaluation by World Education Services, Inc., which is required for enrollment.
- Enroll by May 15*. Log in MyCarolina. You’ll officially be a Tar Heel once you accept your offer of admission and pay your $250 deposit.
Are you an international student? Look out for information from International Student and Scholar Services about your next steps. Also, be sure to check your ConnectCarolina Student Center and upload any required documents.
ONCE YOU ENROLL:
- Follow these steps to register for classes ASAP: Before registering for classes, you’ll need to watch the online transfer student module, which provides information about class registration and academic processes. Click here for more information.
- Continue to check your Heelmail for important updates. We’ll be sending you lots of important updates.
- Register for orientation by June 5. During orientation, you’ll receive information about course sequencing and more. Register at nsfp.unc.edu/orsignup today!
- Order your laptop by May 15*. You’ll be required to have a laptop, and you can order one through the Carolina Computing Initiative
- Apply for on-campus housing by the June 15 priority deadline. Visit housing.unc.edu to learn more about campus living and to apply. If you have a disability or medical condition and would like to request a housing accommodation, please contact Carolina Housing.
- Submit your immunization/health history forms by June 15. Learn more about UNC Campus Health, required immunizations, and how to submit your immunization/health forms.
- Waive or enroll in the UNC System Student Health Insurance Plan by August 1. Students must confirm they have health insurance, whether they choose to enroll in UNC’s student plan or have coverage through another source. Learn about this requirement and your next steps.
- Sign up for your optional meal plan anytime! Explore dining options and select a meal plan.
- Stay in touch with UNC admissions.
- Test scores – If you’d like college credit by exam, send us your official scores via the respective testing service ASAP. See if your scores qualify for credit and be sure to check ConnectCarolina to verify that we have received all of your scores and that credit has been awarded as defined here. We also encourage you to learn more about the math requirement.
- Community Standards Form – Be on the lookout for an email from us with a link to our online community standards form and be sure to complete the form within two weeks of receiving the email.
- Final transcripts – By June 8, we need an official copy of your final transcript from your current school, which should include any classes you’ve completed since applying. If you’ve earned an associate degree from a North Carolina community college, you will need submit a final transcript that includes the date you were awarded your degree. View instructions in your Connect Carolina Student Center.
We’d be happy to hear from you! Email firstname.lastname@example.org or call us at (919) 966-3621 with general questions. If you have specific questions, please feel free to speak any of our campus offices:
Campus Health, email@example.com, 919-966-2281
Carolina Computing Initiative (CCI), 919-843-8224
Dining Services, firstname.lastname@example.org, 800-UNCMEAL
Housing, email@example.com, 919-962-5401
ITS Service Desk (technological issues), 919-962-HELP
New Student and Family Programs (Orientation), firstname.lastname@example.org, 919-962-8304
Scholarships and Student Aid (Financial Aid), email@example.com, 919-962-8396