Am I able to take a gap year or defer my enrollment?

We welcome proposals from admitted undergraduate students who wish to defer their enrollment at Carolina for one academic year. Reasons to request a deferral, also known as a gap year, may include:

  • Work
  • Travel
  • Military service
  • Required religious observance
  • Medical reasons
  • The chance to pursue an extraordinary opportunity

Those wishing to defer admission must request permission in writing from the Office of Undergraduate Admissions no later than August 1 of the year for which they have originally been admitted. In early February, admitted students who have already accepted their offer and paid their enrollment deposit will be able to access a “Defer Enrollment Request” form through MyCarolina.

For full details about requesting a gap year, please explore our Deferring Enrollment policy.