Do I qualify for residency if my parent, spouse or I am either a veteran or a UNC employee?

Permanent full-time employees (including their spouses and dependent children) of the University of North Carolina System and UNC Health Care who have established their legal residence in NC qualify as NC residents even if they have not maintained their residence for 12 consecutive months. Legal residence is defined as the place where the person intends to remain and live permanently. For additional information, refer to RDS Student FAQs.

The Veterans Choice Act is federal legislation that provides in-state tuition to certain veterans and their spouses and dependents.

To be considered for either of these exceptions, first submit your RDS application. Then submit either the UNC-Chapel Hill Supplement for UNC System Employees or the UNC-Chapel Hill Choice Act Application.