What should I know as an international student who accepted a Sophomore Guarantee?

Students receiving a Sophomore Guarantee and who are studying at a college or university outside of the United States should have a successful first year at their selected school, which includes:

  1. Attending an accredited college or university.
  2. Passing a full load of courses – the equivalent of 30 or more semester hours – by the end of the spring semester. This can be accomplished whether the courses are virtual or in-person, depending on what the college or university offers. Credit-by-exam (e.g. AP, IB, A Level) and college credit completed during high school do not count toward the 30 required semester hours.
  3. Achieving a minimum cumulative grade-point average equivalent to a 3.3 on a U.S. 4.0 scale. We understand that grade-point averages may vary or may not exist in other countries. We ask that you perform to the best of your ability. Before enrolling at UNC, you will be required to submit your college transcript for a course-by-course evaluation to World Education Services.
  4. Maintaining exemplary behavior, which will be confirmed by your completion of the community standards questions on the transfer application.

Students who accept their Sophomore Guarantee offer will then apply to Carolina for transfer admission during the spring semester of their first year of school.


Other helpful information:

  • Transferring Courses: During your first year at your selected school, you’ll be expected to take the courses required for you to progress in your degree program at that university. We hope the courses you take will transfer to UNC, however university systems vary from country to country and not all courses will transfer.
  • Visa Requirements:
    • U.S. citizens or permanent residents will not need a visa to return to the United States and to come to UNC.
    • Nonimmigrants must submit a Financial Certificate Form. Students who require visa sponsorship to study in the U.S. must also provide supporting financial documents to request a Form I-20. This allows you to apply for the F-1 student visa at a U.S. Embassy or Consulate abroad.
  • SEVIS Transfers: In addition to the academic transfer process, current F-1 students must also transfer their SEVIS record when transferring from one U.S. school to another. See full details about transferring a SEVIS record.
2022 The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill