Thank you for your interest in the Carolina Student Transfer Excellence Program (C-STEP). We understand that students travel many different roads to get to Carolina, and we celebrate the variety of interests, backgrounds, and aspirations that they bring with them. It’s important to note that because of the holistic nature of our review, there is no formula for admission–no one is automatically admitted or denied because of a single number. We work to understand each student individually as we read their application. In seeking students who will contribute to our community and benefit from the Carolina experience, we need to know much more than just grades or test scores. That’s why we also review things such as extracurricular activities, the essay, and recommendation letters very carefully.
Please review the following instructions carefully before beginning your application.
1. Send two electronic letters of recommendation. Letters should be sent in PDF format from your recommender’s email address to email@example.com and include your full name and date of birth.
2. Upload any and all unofficial copies of transcripts from your graduating high school and all colleges and universities attended. (You must submit transcripts from all post-secondary institutions in which you have enrolled, regardless of whether you completed coursework.)
3. Self-report SAT or ACT results (if taken)
4. Complete two short answer essays within the application.
Note: There is no application fee to apply to the C-STEP Program.
Beginning the Application
• When you’re ready to apply, you’ll need to create a MyCarolina account. Go to mycarolina.unc.edu/apply and click “Create an account” under First-time users. (If you have previously created an account, please log in with those credentials.) Once you’ve registered, you’ll receive an email with a temporary PIN. Please follow the email instructions and set your password.
• Once you’ve logged into your account, click on “Start New Application” and select “C-STEP Application” and click on “Create Application.”
• To edit an in-progress application, log into your MyCarolina account and click on your application.
Completing the Application
- Saving – your information is saved automatically after making a change to a question.
- Continue button – saves your information and progresses to the next page.
- Left menu bar – moves to the selected page.
Check your MyCarolina regularly for updates on the status of your application, including missing application materials. Please allow two to three business days for the status of your checklist items to be updated.
When the Admissions Committee has reviewed your application, you will receive an email, and your decision will be made available on MyCarolina.