< To Transfer Credit

Prospective Students – Transfer Equivalencies

In general, transfer credit is awarded for any academic course completed with a grade of ‘C’ or better from an accredited institution if Carolina offers an equivalent course. Courses from the five core academic areas (math, science, social science, foreign language, and English) are most likely to transfer.

Certain basic courses such as college algebra, remedial courses, ESL courses, and the first unit of the foreign language taken during high school do not transfer. Technical courses and courses that UNC does not offer, such as agriculture and architecture, do not transfer. Professional school courses including business, journalism, education, and nursing rarely transfer.

Students may transfer up to 75 semester hours from a four-year institution, or 64 hours from a two-year institution. A minimum of 45 semester hours must be earned at UNC-Chapel Hill in order to receive a degree from the University.

To view a listing of courses that have previously been evaluated for transfer admission from your institution, please select one of the PDF databases below:

Button-1 Button-2 Button-3

Attend a community college in North Carolina? Learn more about the N.C. Community College Common Curriculum and planning your degree.

Attend an institution outside the United States? View Transferring Courses from Non-U.S. Institutions.

Additional Notes:

  • Course credit is still awarded after the 75 or 64-hour limit is reached, but these excess hours do not count toward the 120 hours required for graduation. If a student has courses from a combination of two-year and four-year institutions, the maximum number of transferable hours is determined by the most recent institution attended.
  • Hours earned on a quarter system are converted to semester hours (1 quarter hour = 2/3 semester hour).
  • For more information about the University’s rules for credit by exam (such as AP or IB scores), please visit Test and Placement Credit.
  • Information about transfer credit for military service can be found at Transfer Credit for Military Training.
  • Equivalencies and requirements may change without notice.
Professor Goldberg teaches class at UNC Chapel Hill
Students and others sign a petition of support of UNC Chancellor Holden Thorp