Set Up Your Username
Or as we call it, your ONYEN (Only Name You’ll Ever Need).
- Visit onyen.unc.edu and click on “Create or Reactivate ONYEN.”
- Review and agree to the terms.
- You’ll be asked if you have a Guest ID. Click “no.”
- Enter your contact details and UNC PID (Personal I.D.). Find your PID on your MyCarolina status page or look it up here.
- After entering this information, you’ll receive your ONYEN.
Protect Your Username (ONYEN) and UNC Information with Duo
Be sure to set up Duo, a tool that helps us confirm your identity through your mobile phone or landline. This will also allow us to authenticate you if you need to recover your ONYEN password.
- Visit onyen.unc.edu and click 2-Step Verification for Duo.
- Click the Login button.
- Enter your UNC Personal Identification Number (PID), date of birth, and the last 4 digits of your Social Security Number (SSN). If you don’t have a SSN, you’ll be asked additional questions as part of your Duo setup.
Set Up Your Email
- Log into selfservice.unc.edu using your ONYEN and password.
- Click on “Email Sign-Up” on the left hand menu to set up your UNC email account, create an easy-to-remember alias, or change your password.
- Check your email by visiting heelmail.unc.edu. You can also connect your UNC email to your phone’s inbox.