UNC Username and Email
After you're admitted, you'll want to set up your UNC username and email address. This is where we'll be sharing important updates from the Admissions office and details about your financial aid package.
Set Up Your Username
Or as we call it, your ONYEN (Only Name You’ll Ever Need).
- Visit onyen.unc.edu and click on “Create or Reactivate ONYEN.”
- Review and agree to the terms.
- You’ll be asked if you have a Guest ID. Click “no.”
- Enter your contact details and UNC PID (Personal I.D.). Find your PID on your MyCarolina status page or look it up here.
- After entering this information, you’ll receive your ONYEN.
Protect Your Username (ONYEN) and UNC Information with Duo
Be sure to set up Duo, a tool that helps us confirm your identity through your mobile phone or landline. This will also allow us to authenticate you if you need to recover your ONYEN password.
- Visit onyen.unc.edu and click 2-Step Verification for Duo.
- Click the Login button.
- Enter your UNC Personal Identification Number (PID), date of birth, and the last 4 digits of your Social Security Number (SSN). If you don’t have a SSN, you’ll be asked additional questions as part of your Duo setup.
Set Up Your Email
- Log into selfservice.unc.edu using your ONYEN and password.
- Click on “Email Sign-Up” on the left hand menu to set up your UNC email account, create an easy-to-remember alias, or change your password.
- Check your email by visiting heelmail.unc.edu. You can also connect your UNC email to your phone’s inbox.